Thursday, May 15, 2014

Mother's Day


I have wanted to be a mom for as long as I can remember. It was my biggest dream. When you're growing up you imagine the type of mom you're going to be (well, at least I did!). I remember watching the things my mom did and taking mental notes. I was guilty multiple times of thinking I would do a much better job as a mother than my mom:

I remember it going a little something like this:

me: I will never punish MY kids
mom: Yeah...we'll see. Go to your room.

me: I'm going to let my kids stay up as late as they want
mom: uh-huh, sure Kels, get to bed!

me: MY kids will eat whatever they want, and if they're not hungry I don't care!
mom: Finish your dinner

me: When I'm a mom, my kids won't have to clean up.
me: When I'm a mom, I'll drive them wherever they want
me: I'll buy my kids anything they wish for!

... yada, yada, yada....

Looking back, I can't help but laugh at my younger self. What in the heck was I thinking? Hands down, there was no better mother than mine. She was self-less, helpful, supportive, and an amazing role model. I just wish I was able to see it when I was growing up. But, I guess it's sadly that way for most kids. They think that everything should be how they want it. I never understood why my mom worried so much when I would stay out late and not call. I thought she was crazy when she would set rules and limitations on what I could and could not do. Little did I know, that she was just being a mom. It's hard to fully appreciate everything that a mom does, until you become one yourself.

So, I want to say THANK YOU. Thank you to my mom for doing all that you did for me, and all that you still do. Thank you for all that you sacrificed in order to make me happy. I am truly sorry for not saying it more.

I hope that one day I will be even half the mom that you were for me.


The moment I became a mother, it changed my whole life. Everything about the way I thought was different. It all became about Anthony. I remember being overwhelmed with fear and anxiety. I wanted to make sure that he was safe and healthy all the time.

Being a parent is no walk in the park. There are amazing days, and there are really hard days. I hardly have time for myself anymore. The house doesn't get cleaned, the laundry piles up, and my poor husband....

But, I wouldn't have it any other way. I have never felt such unconditional love for another human. I mean, I carried this little man inside me for eight and a half months! That is still so surreal to me.

I love being with him, and having special moments together. He can just look at me and it makes my heart smile. When we're together, everything else can wait.

I will love Anthony for the rest of my life.












 












A big thank you goes out to my husband Joe. Thank you for giving me the best gift I could have ever asked for. Being a mom is the hardest, yet most rewarding job I have ever had, but, it is my most favorite job!!


Happy Mother's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment